12 Little-Known Auto Recycling Industry Facts
Every year in the U.S., nearly 95 percent of all cars that reach the end of their useful life are processed and recycled. That tallies up to about 12 million vehicles per year, making it the most recycled item in the U.S. Automotive recycling is the 16th largest industry in the U.S., estimated at a $25 billion a year industry, making it a catalyst for jobs, consumer service and environmental conservation.
- In 1997, auto recyclers acquired 4.7 million vehicles for the purpose of recycling.
- Recycling vehicles provides enough steel to produce almost 13 million new vehicles.
- Saves an estimated 85 million barrels of oil a year, that would have been used in the manufacturing of new or replacement parts.
- Automotive recycling is the 16th largest industry in the U.S., estimated to be a $25 billion per year industry.
- More than 12 million vehicles are recycled each year in the U.S., making it the most recycled item.
- There are approximately 7,000 vehicle-recycling operations around the country.
- According to the EPA, nearly 80 percent of the vehicle by weight is recycled, which is a greater percentage than any other type of recycling process, including aluminum.
- Automotive recyclers provide wholesale and retail customers quality parts that sell for up to 50 percent less than the comparable new parts.
- An estimated 86 percent of automotive recycling companies is full-service and employs 10 or fewer people.
- Every year, more than 14 million tons of recycled steel is derived from junk vehicles. On average, a car has around 25 percent of its body made from recycled steel.
- By 2015, 95 percent of each vehicle, by weight, will be recycled in Europe.
- Ninety-eight percent of every car battery can be recycled. Most car owners are recycling their batteries by simply returning it to where they replaced their battery.
So, what can be recycled on your car?
- Ferrous Metals (contain iron)
- Non-Ferrous Metals
- Electrical Parts
Although junk cars have been an environmental concern for decades, with recent strides in eco-friendly practices in auto recycling, efficient processes and technological advances have been put into place that have revolutionized the auto recycling industry.
GO-Pull It brings you quality used parts to recycle for use in your own vehicles at their Pull Your Own Parts Superyard. They recycle almost 7,000 cars per year and 10,000-plus gallons of toxic fluids in an effort to keep our environment a cleaner place.
Have a junk car of your own? GO Pull-It will buy it for cash in hand. Just use our Sell Your Car Tool to get started.